GetSatisfaction 1 recently came out with a great infographic showing what, in their research, are the reasons why companies lose customers.
They ask a very basic but important question: What are the circumstances in which a customer chooses to no longer do business with you? In other words, what are the reasons customers leave?
Below is a summary of why customers leave companies:
- 68% Leave because of the treatment the customer received
- 14% Leave because the customer is dissatisfied with product or service
- 9% Leave because the customer begins doing business with the competition
- 5% Leave because the customer seeks alternatives
- 3% Leave because the customers move away
- 1% Leave because the customer dies
Then came this fascinating summary of the effect of poor customer service:
In 2009, 71% of customers ended their business relationships because of poor customer service and customers ended an average of 2.1 business relationships.
Root Causes of Lost Business Relationships
- The customer has to repeat themselves to the customer service agent
- The customer is trapped in automated self-service
- The customer is forced to wait too long for service
- The customer service representative doesn’t know the customer’s history of value
- The customer cannot switch between channels easily
The rest of the infographic is below.
- blog.getsatisfaction.com/2010/10/04/fastest-way-to-lose-customers/ ↩