As Lean Thinkers, we know that small changes can make a big difference. In other words, with pun intended, small steps make a big difference. So, today, when you go to work, take the stairs and get healthy.
Here are the big benefits from a small thing, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator:
- People spend an estimated two-thirds of their lives at their place of employment. In order to stay healthy, we need to find ways to incorporate physical activity into our workday.
- Daily living activities like climbing the stairs can make a significant contribution to the 30 minutes of exercise we all need – everyday.
- The 30 minutes of physical activity we need for our health can be accumulated a bit at a time, or one stairway at a time, spread at intervals throughout the day (single piece flow for your health).
- Physical activities like stair climbing are a great way to cope with job-related stress
- Climbing just two flights of stairs everyday could result a loss of 2.7kg or 6lbs per year. Six flights a day could help you trim nearly 18 lbs., which is an easy way to lose weight.
- Adding stairs to your day can add years to your life. Studies show that risk of cardiovascular disease and death is lower among those who are regular Stair climbers.
- Stair climbing can also add life to your years. Those who climb stairs on a daily basis have greater leg strength and aerobic capacity, allowing them to participate more fully in a wide range of daily activities.
- Taking the stairs is often faster than waiting for an elevator during peak usage times. Take the test and time your trip. Often for trips of 7 floors or less, the stairs are the quickest way to your destination.
- Using the stairs requires no special skill, equipment or clothing and it burns twice as many calories as walking.
- Stair climbing is a â€˜greenâ€™ activity, the only energy source used is what is stored in our bodies – good for you and the environment!
So what are you waiting for? Aren’t you worth it?